The building of the courts is very old one and it is learnt that British Judicial Officers were holding Courts in the said building.
HISTORY OF DISTRICT FEROZEPUR.
FEROZEPORE, is a city in Ferozepur District in Punjab, India. The name Ferozepur obviously means the town of Feroze. Probably the founder was Feroz Shah Tughlak (A.D.1351-88), as the place must always have occupied an important position in the line of communication between Delhi and Lahore. However, another tradition ascribes its foundation to one of the Chiefs of Bhatti clan namely Firoz Khan, of the middle of the sixteen century.
Amazingly, the name of Ferozepur finds mention in the autobiography of Hitler (other than `Mein Camph') written by his Propaganda Minister Mr.Gobbles. During the war between Allies and Axis, the Allies used cartridges which were made in Ferozepur. In those days such ammunition was made in the Fort of Ferozepur. When Axis were loosing the battle, Hitler noted that on the said Cartridges “Made in Ferozepur” was inscribed and at that time he enquired as to where this city was because he wanted to destroy it.
PLACES OF INTEREST IN DISTRICT FEROZEPUR
HUSAINIWALA MARTYR'S MEMORIAL
National Martyr's Memorial Hussainiwala depicts an irrepressible revolutionary spirit of three national martyrs namely Sh.Bhagat Singh, Rajguru and Sukhdev who lit eternal flame of liberty by smilingly embracing martyrdom for the motherland.
S.Bhagat Singh Sh.B.K.Dutt threw a bomb in the Central Assembly hall on April, 8, 1929 to record their protest against British in India. He and his two brave comrades Sh.Rajguru and Sh.Sukhdev were tried for shooting British officer Saundras. On the 17th of December 1928 these three revolutionaries were awarded death sentence, following a hasty trial of the Lahore conspiracy case. They were executed a day earlier than hanging scheduled in the Central Jail Lahore at 7.15 PM on March 23, 1931. The entire Lahore was in the grip of national fervor and there were apprehensions of revolt. The Jail authorities broke the back wall of the jail and secretly brought the dead bodies of S.Bhagat Singh and his comrades here, on this spot at the bank of the river Sutlej for an unceremonial cremation. Sh.B.K.Dutt died in Delhi on 19 July 1965 and as per his last will, he was also cremated here. Till 1962, this area remained with Pakistan and they cared little to raise any monuments in the memory of these great martyrs of India, who sacrificed their lives for the freedom of undivided India. It was in 1962, when India gave 12 villages near head Sulemanki (Fazilka) to Pakistan and in exchange got this martyr's land.
RETREAT CEREMONY AT HUSSAINIWALA (INDO-PAK BORDER)
Sun starts setting, the weird silence on the Hussainiwala border, 11 km away from Ferozepur, is ruptured by the clattering and thunderclap of heavy boots of the well-dressed in khaki uniform, Indian BSF Jawans who equalize their counter part, the sound of Peshawari Chapples of salwar-kurta dressed Pakistani Rangers and both of them match their every movement, motion and step with each other, under the loud commands of their picket commanders for the 40-minute retreat ceremony done for the de-hoisting of the national flags of both countries with full honour and respect on every evening. This retreat ceremony was started in the year 1970 by the IG of BSF Sh.Ashwani Kumar after consultations with Pakistan.
ANGLO SIKH WAR MEMEORIAL, FEROZESHAH
No nation can afford to forget the martyrs and freedom fighters who kissed the gallows for attainment of freedom for all of us. It is out bounden duty to hold them in high esteem and perpetuate their memories by raising befitting memorials so that these could serve as a source of inspiration and courage for our future generations. It was with this background that the Punjab Government constructed an Anglo Sikh War Memorial at Ferozeshah on Ferozepur Moga Road, to perpetuate the memory of the brave Punjabis who laid down their lives fighting heroically against the British troops at Mudki Ferozeshah Sabhraon and Chellianwala.
It was in 1845 that the first encounter between the Sikhs and the British troops took place at Mudki on December,18,1845. The gallantry the discipline of the Sikhs in the fight evoked admiration even of the enemies.
The second encounter took place at Ferozeshah on December, 21-22,1845. The British troops fighting under the command of their commander-in-chief Sir Charles Gaugh sustained such heavy losses that it created a furore in England. They had 748 killed out of which 54 were officers and 1625 wounded at Ferozeshah. Lord Hardings, Governor General, supervised the battle of Ferozeshah.
The three storied impressing building, raised over a platform near the banks of the Rajasthan Canal and Sirhand Feeders on the G.T.Road. In the hall, on the ground floor, weapons relating to the period of the Anglo Sikh War are displayed. Quotes from `WARS' of Shah Mohammad and Cunningham's 'History of the Sikh' are inscribed in Bronze. The weapons have been donated by the Punjab Government from the Museum at Patiala. The hall has four paintings depicting the four battles of Mudki, Ferozeshah, Sabhraon and Chellianwala. Mr.Kirpal Singh, a renowned artist, has painted the same.
The Barki Memorial was constructed in Ferozepur Cantt in 1969 to perpetuate the memory of the soldiers of the 7 Infantry Division, who made the Supreme sacrifice on the battle field in 1965 and paved the way for the fall of Barki a town situated at a distance of 15 miles South East of Lahore. The foundation stone of this memorial was laid by Lt. Gen. Harbakhsh Singh VC on September 11,1969 and unveiling ceremony was performed by Lt. Gen. HK Sibal MVC. The memorial which now forms a part of Saragarhi Complex has a pillar in the centre, a Patten tank and a Barki mile stone on the south and a water fountain on the North. The pillar is 27 feet high and is built of red and white sand stone and granite. The moldings and relief carvings are in the classical Indian architectural style.
Saragarhi Memorial Gurudwara has been built in the memory of 21 Sikh soldiers of the 36 Sikh Regiment who fell in heroic defence of Fort Saragarhi in Wazirstan on September, 12 1897 while defending the fort against an attack of ten thousand Pathans. On the morning of September 12 about ten thousand Pathans surrounding Saragarhi and taking positions within one thousand yards of the fort opened fire. The Pathans asked the Sikh soldiers to surrender but they preferred to die fighting and these soldiers continued to return fire. The battle continued for seven hours and then the Sikhs fell one by one. According to the Contemporary Army Athority, Hawaldar Isher Singh the only man alive and unwounded out of the little band, taking his rifle placed himself in the front of a doorway leading from the front alone calmly and steadily. He loaded his rifle and delivered the fire. Unconquered even in death, the Sikh War cry rang from his dying lips in defiance of the foe, then followed silence broken only by the crackling of flames.
This Memorial Gurudwara at Ferozepur was built by the Army Authorities to honour these brave soldiers. The Gurudwara was declared open in 1904 by Sir Charles Revz, the then Lieutenant Governor of Punjab.
AMAZING FACTS ABOUT THE CITY
1. The name of Ferozepur finds mention in the autobiography of Hitler (other than `Mein Camph') written by his Propaganda Minister Mr.Gobbles. During the war between Allies and Axis, the Allies used cartridges which were made in Ferozepur. In those days such ammunition was made in the Fort of Ferozepur. When Axis were loosing the battle, Hitler noted that on the said Cartridges “Made in Ferozepur” was inscribed and that time he enquired as to where this city was because he wanted to destroy it.
2. Till 1962, area of Hussainiwala area remained with Pakistan and they cared little to raise any monuments in the memory of these great martyrs of India, who sacrificed their lives for the freedom for both the countries. It was in 1962, when India gave 12 villages near head Sulemanki (Fazilka) to Pakistan and in exchange got this martyr's land.