District Courts of Punjab

                                                                          Shaheed Bhagat singh Nagar

Employment Notice Regarding filling up of posts in District Courts Mansa and Faridkot               Cause List of District Courts are available. For details Click: District Name-> Cause List

Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr)..

       Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) District is situated on the right bank of mighty river Sutlej. It is situated at a distance of 92 Kms from Chandigarh. It is surrounded by four districts. The west border of the District touches Jalandhar, east border with Roop Nagar, northern border meets with District Hoshiarpur and its southern border touches Ludhiana and Kapurthala Districts. The town 'Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr)', is said to have been built during the reign of Alaudin Khilji  (1295-1316) by his Afgan Military Chief Nausher Khan. Previously, it was called 'Nausar' but with the passage of time, the town came to be known as 'The Nawanshahr. Nausher Khan had constructed five forts known as Havelis, whose remains still exist.  One more belief is that most of the people who were afraid of River Satluj came from Rahon to Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) and settled in a small locality and according to folk talk, the area of the present Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) was known as `Neevan Vashon' after that it became famous as Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr).
          This District was carved out of Hoshiarpur and Jalandhar Districts of Punjab in November 7, 1995 on the auspicious occasion of birthday of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji as the Sixteenth District of Punjab. For administrative purposes, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) District forms part of Jalandhar Division. For the purpose of general and revenue administration, the district on the principal of decentralisation of authority in the administration set up has been divided into two Tehsils viz, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) (including Banga Sub Tehsil) and Balachaur.
          Shaheed Bhagat Singh, the great martyr was born in village Khat Kar Kalan, which is situated at distance of 7 km from the city of Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr). In the honour of the Supreme Sacrifice made by him for the nation and to commemorate the memory of this great son of the soil, vide notification No.19/7 (7-L-R-I/7929) dated 29.9.2008 of the Government of Punjab District Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) has been renamed as Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar.
           

HISTORY OF COURTS AT Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr)

            The courts at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) were probably established in the beginning of 19th Century and this fact is evident from the formation of Bar at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) in the year 1907.  In the earlier days one Munsif court was set up at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) .   In addition to the munsifs, the Honorary Magistrates and Judges were also appointed. They were vested with Civil, Criminal and Summary powers to perform the judicial work. S.Kuldip Singh was appointed as Third Class Magistrate in 1910. There existed two subordinate courts functioning at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) at the time of formation of the District.  The court of Addl. District & Sessions Judge was inaugurated at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) by Hon'ble Mr.Justice H.S.Brar on 7.8.98. 
          On 16.1.2010 separate Sessions Division came into existance for SBS Nagar, which was inaugurated by Hon'ble Justice K.S. Ahluwalia of Punjab & Haryana High Court.  At present there is one  District & Sessions Judge, Two Addl. District & Sessions Judge, SBS Nagar, Chief Judicial Magistrte-cum-Civil Judge (Sr. Div.), Addl. Civil Judge (Sr. Div.), SBS Nagar and one court of Addl. Civil Judge (Sr. Div.) at Sub-divisional Headquarters, Balachaur.

LEGAL LUMINARIES OF Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr)

     Lala Gopal  Dass oldest members of this Bar started his practice in the year 1910.  Mr.Mohammad Sidhu practised at Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) for about 6 years before being appointed as Sub Judge at Garshankar in the year 1935.  After partition of the country he shifted to Lahore and ultimately retired as judge of the Hon'ble Lahore High Court.  He hailed from Village Karyam in Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar (Nawanshahr) District.  Worthy son of a worthly father, Hon'ble Mr.Justice Khalil-ur-Rehman Ramdey is the sitting judge of Hon'ble Supreme Court of Pakistan.  The history of Bar Association reveals that it has produced many gems like Lala Gopal Dass, Lala Bhim Sain, Lala Muni Lal, Lala Ram Parkash, Lala Gian Chand, Lala Jagan Nath Mittel, Mt.Parma Nand, Lala Dina Nath Malhotra, Lala Jagan Nath Khosla, Ch.B.K.Singh, Pt.Vishwa Nath, Lala Sham Lal, S.Darshan Singh, S.Lakha Singh and S.Piara Singh Mann worthly father of Hon'ble Mr.Justice T.P.S.Mann, Hon'ble Ms. Justice Nirmaljit Kaur

HOME  |   DISCLAIMER   |   CONTACT US
Contents on this website are published and managed by Punjab & Haryana High Court , Chandigarh.
For any query regarding this website, please contact the Web Information Manager:
District & Sessions Judge of respective Sessions Divisions.